For the first time the Golden Gate was mentioned in the chronicle in 1037. The gate was 12 metres high and 6.4 metres wide. There are several versions as to the name of this ancient monument of history, architecture and fortification. Some connect it with the gilded cupola of the Gateway Church of the Annunciation crowned by a cross at a height of 30 metres; others draw an analogy with the Golden Gate of Constantinople. The remains of frescoes and the fragments of smalt which were found by archaeologists testify to a rich decoration of the church walls. In 1750 the arch of the gate collapsed. Under direction of architect V.Beretti, the remains of the Golden Gate were consolidated with brick buttresses and, on suggestion of architect F.Mekhovich, fastened with iron rods. Only after the reconstruction in 1982, this monument acquired its hypothetically primary look. The Golden Gate Museum was opened inside the pavilion. In its rooms you can see the Old Russian weaponry and learn more about the history of this monument. In 1997, not far from the Golden Gate, was erected the monument to Yaroslav the Wise (1) holding in his hands a bronze model of St. Sophia Cathedral.